There’s no question Cobh is beautiful and picturesque outside. The hilly landscape is an ideal place to view the town, the low lying neighbourhood and the majestic Cork Harbour. When you are out at the Town Centre or at Deck of Cards West Hill Park, you also have the impressive towering backdrop of St Colman’s Cathedral.
There are times though when you cannot enjoy being out as much when it rains. It’s no secret Ireland can be wet and windy and sometimes weather-weird at any given time, so for this post i figure i write something on What To Do in Cobh When It Rains?
- Titanic Experience – Don’t miss this exhibition. Cobh, being the last port of call of the ill-fated Titanic, will forever be linked to this fateful event. This indoor museum is a must see for Titanic fans and for visitors who want to know more about Cobh’s significance in maritime history.
2. St Colman’s Cathedral – Standing at 300 feet, it’s easy to marvel at this gothic structure. From the Town Centre, walk or drive up the hill, visit and pay respects to this free architectural and spiritual gem. Don’t forget to listen to the lovely sound of the carillon too.
3. Cobh Heritage Museum – There’s more to Cobh than being the Titanic town. Learn how Cobh play a part on Irish migration and potato famine, and learn more about the many reincarnation of Spike Island, and other cultural history of Cobh in this exhibit space with coffe shop. This one-stop museum is the perfect place to start your visit on our town.
4. Cobh Museum – This cozy church-turned-museum highlights some artifacts on the Lusitania sinking. It also holds interesting memorabilias on Cobh’s very own heritage. This is also a good place to inquire about Irish genealogy, particularly for those searching their ancestry after the migration.
5. Pubs – Local pubs are alive in Cobh. Some of them are traditional and some combine the old with the modern and sporty vibe. There’s a life on its own inside a pub, whether you are catching up with friends, listening to live music or watching a live game, Cobh has something for your liking.
6. Library – We have a small intimate library and long reading tables if you just want to sit down and kill time by reading. There is also room right across that sometimes serves as a gallery and an activity center.
7. Restaurants – Being a tourist-friendly town, we have restaurants ready to cater to your dining needs. Breakfast, lunch or dinner, we have meals from different cuisine and also from different locations (try some of our seaside restaurants for a pretty view of Cork Harbour).
These are just some of the places you can visit to shelter yourself from the rain when you are in Cobh. If the weather permits it, a warm and dependable raincoat can get you around nicely. For more info on how to spend 1 day or 2 days in Cobh, check my other posts on this blog.
*Get updated with some Cobh news here.